Camped out in your head? I’m right there with you.
Reminding ourselves what’s in our control and what’s not is the fastest way to feel a sense of relief and space inside and out.
This exercise helps bring you back and takes two minutes.
1. Grab a piece of paper and a pen or pencil.
2. Draw a line down the center of the page. On the left-hand side, title it “What’s not in my control.”
2. Set a timer for 1 minute (ideally on any non-phone timer, you have to stay indistractable)
3. List as many things that are not in your control (when COVID will end, the outcome of the election, the reaction, and safety from the outcome of the election, seeing family over the holidays, etc.). Anything that comes to mind goes on the list until the timer rings.
4. On the right-hand side, title it “What IS in my control” and repeat steps 2 and 3 while writing everything that IS in your control (what you have for breakfast, exercising, hanging with your kids, your thoughts, news intake, time on social media, what you consume across the board, etc.) All on the list.
5. Now, rip the sheet in half and take the side with the list of what’s not in your control and burn it or recycle it—your call.
6. Tape the list of what is in your control anywhere you’ll see it daily and focus there.